Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton Bout | Result ForecastCategory: Boxing
When Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao and Ricky “Hitman” Hatton collide on May 2, Saturday (Sunday morning here in the Philippines) at MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA for the latter’s Ring Magazine and IBO World Junior Welterweight titles, the superbout will be dubbed as “The Battle of East and West.”
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said that it’s a takeoff on Rudyard Kipling’s poem titled “The Ballad of East and West” where you can find this line, “When two strong men stand face to face, tho’ they come from the ends of the earth”.
The title of the bout is very fitting isn’t it? Two great warriors from each side of the world will meet at the boxing ring to settle once and for all who is the best at their division.
It’s one more week to go before the bout but both fighters are already prepared and at their peak form. In order for Manny Pacquiao not to burn-out from the intensive training given by his coach Freddie Roach, he has taken a breather by delivering the ceremonial first pitch before the San Francisco Giants and San Diego Padres game last Wednesday. However, boxing aficionados are not having a break. The internet is abuzz with all kinds of news and stories about the bout. Tickets are already sold out. Las Vegas and online betting lines are active which give Manny a 2:1 odds to win the bout. HBO has also created a 24/7 TV Special of the fight.
Basing on the tale of the tape, Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton are almost even in terms of body built. Their fight records are both sterling too with Pacquiao having a 68% KO rate while Hatton, 69.5%. On the quality of opponents, I give a slight advantage to Pacquiao. Hatton has an advantage in the weight division as he has been lording over it for 12 years now while this will be Pacquiao’s first.
I think Hitman is stronger but Pacman is quicker and has more stamina. They are equal in terms of heart as they both don’t want to disappoint their legion of fans. But in the end, only one will remain standing proud and victorious.
My fearless forecast?
Manny Pacquiao by KO in Round 6!
UPDATE May 3, 2009: I underestimated Manny Pacquiao’s power a little bit. The end for Ricky Hatton came at the 2nd round with a knockout!
Please read my related posts:
- Pacquiao vs Hatton 2nd Round KO Video Leaving no doubt on who is the “Best Pound-for Pound Boxer in the World”, Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao lulled Ricky “Hitman”...
- New Nike “Boom” Ad Features Manny Pacquiao Shoe giant Nike has a new series of advertisements titled “Boom”. The “boom” catchphrase is supposed to signify that one...
- Manny Pacquiao is 2008 Fighter of the Year Yesterday in New York, Manny Pacquiao was awarded the 2008 Fighter of the Year given out by the Boxing Writers...
- Manny Pacquiao is 2009 ESPYs Best Fighter Awardee Another award is in the bag for Filipino boxing icon Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao. This time, its for the prestigious 2009...
- Manny Pacquiao Graces Time Magazine Cover Here’s another honor for Manny Pacquiao: he’s only the second Filipino to grace the cover of the prestigious Time Magazine...