2009 NBA Draft | LA Clippers Select Blake Griffin With First PickCategory: Basketball
It’s a no-brainer. The Los Angeles Clippers have selected Blake Griffin with the first overall
pick. Griffin is a power forward playing for the Oklahoma Sooners of the University of Oklahoma He was named the Associated Press, the John Wooden Award, the Naismith Award and the Sporting News player of the year for the 08-09 college basketball season so he has the credentials to back up the hype. He has also averaged 22.7 points, 14.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks for the season. He reminds scouts of a young Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz.
The 2009 NBA Draft was completed on Thursday, June 25 (Friday, June 26 here in the Philippines) at Madison Square Garden’s WaMu Theater. It begun at 7 pm EST and was shown on ESPN and BTV.
Here’s the complete list of picks in Round 1.
- LA Clippers Blake Griffin PF
- Memphis Hasheem Thabeet C
- Oklahoma City James Harden SG
- Sacramento Tyreke Evans SG
- Minnesota Ricky Rubio PG
- Minnesota Jonny Flynn PG
- Golden State Stephen Curry PG
- New York Jordan Hill PF
- Toronto DeMar DeRozan SG
- Milwaukee Brandon Jennings PG
- New Jersey Terrence Williams SG
- Charlotte Gerald Henderson SG
- Indiana Tyler Hansbrough PF
- Phoenix Earl Clark SF
- Detroit Austin Daye SF
- Chicago James Johnson PF
- Philadelphia Jrue Holiday PG
- Minnesota Ty Lawson PG
- Atlanta Jeff Teague PG
- Utah Eric Maynor PG
- New Orleans Darren Collison PG
- Portland Victor Claver PF
- Sacramento Omri Casspi SF
- Dallas B.J. Mullens C
- Oklahoma City Rodrigue Beaubois PG
- Chicago Taj Gibson PF
- Memphis DeMarre Carroll PF
- Minnesota Wayne Ellington SG
- LA Lakers Toney Douglas SG
- Cleveland Christian Eyenga SG
Based on what I read, this year’s batch seems to be pretty weak with less than 3 players predicted to have an impact in the NBA for years to come. Even the 1st pick is not a guaranteed franchise player. At best, he might be the next Kenyon Martin.
This weak draft was overshadowed by Shaq’s trade to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Well, I’m not surprised at all. Shaq has always been hogging the limelight since he was drafted 1st pick overall in the 1992 NBA Draft.
UPDATE October 28, 2009: It’s game time!
How will this crop of rookies fare?
Follow them and watch the 2009-10 NBA games in live streaming.
UPDATE October 29, 2010: Blake Griffin’s NBA season will be put on hold as Griffin apparently broke his left kneecap during the Clippers’ final exhibition game against New Orleans.
UPDATE April 29, 2010: Tyreke Evans was named today the NBA’s Rookie of the Year.