2009 NBA Draft | LA Clippers Select Blake Griffin With First PickCategory: Basketball
It’s a no-brainer. The Los Angeles Clippers have selected Blake Griffin with the first overall
pick. Griffin is a power forward playing for the Oklahoma Sooners of the University of Oklahoma He was named the Associated Press, the John Wooden Award, the Naismith Award and the Sporting News player of the year for the 08-09 college basketball season so he has the credentials to back up the hype. He has also averaged 22.7 points, 14.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks for the season. He reminds scouts of a young Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz.
The 2009 NBA Draft was completed on Thursday, June 25 (Friday, June 26 here in the Philippines) at Madison Square Garden’s WaMu Theater. It begun at 7 pm EST and was shown on ESPN and BTV.
Here’s the complete list of picks in Round 1.
- LA Clippers Blake Griffin PF
- Memphis Hasheem Thabeet C
- Oklahoma City James Harden SG
- Sacramento Tyreke Evans SG
- Minnesota Ricky Rubio PG
- Minnesota Jonny Flynn PG
- Golden State Stephen Curry PG
- New York Jordan Hill PF
- Toronto DeMar DeRozan SG
- Milwaukee Brandon Jennings PG
- New Jersey Terrence Williams SG
- Charlotte Gerald Henderson SG
- Indiana Tyler Hansbrough PF
- Phoenix Earl Clark SF
- Detroit Austin Daye SF
- Chicago James Johnson PF
- Philadelphia Jrue Holiday PG
- Minnesota Ty Lawson PG
- Atlanta Jeff Teague PG
- Utah Eric Maynor PG
- New Orleans Darren Collison PG
- Portland Victor Claver PF
- Sacramento Omri Casspi SF
- Dallas B.J. Mullens C
- Oklahoma City Rodrigue Beaubois PG
- Chicago Taj Gibson PF
- Memphis DeMarre Carroll PF
- Minnesota Wayne Ellington SG
- LA Lakers Toney Douglas SG
- Cleveland Christian Eyenga SG
Based on what I read, this year’s batch seems to be pretty weak with less than 3 players predicted to have an impact in the NBA for years to come. Even the 1st pick is not a guaranteed franchise player. At best, he might be the next Kenyon Martin.
This weak draft was overshadowed by Shaq’s trade to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Well, I’m not surprised at all. Shaq has always been hogging the limelight since he was drafted 1st pick overall in the 1992 NBA Draft.
UPDATE October 28, 2009: It’s game time!
How will this crop of rookies fare?
Follow them and watch the 2009-10 NBA games in live streaming.
UPDATE October 29, 2010: Blake Griffin’s NBA season will be put on hold as Griffin apparently broke his left kneecap during the Clippers’ final exhibition game against New Orleans.
UPDATE April 29, 2010: Tyreke Evans was named today the NBA’s Rookie of the Year.
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 NBA Draft | Washington Wizards Select John Wall With First Pick With just a 10.3% chance of winning the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery last May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey, USA, the Washington Wizards were able to land the rights for the #1 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. In...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Select Kyrie Irving With First Pick in the 2011 NBA Draft At the 2011 NBA Draft held on June 23, 2011 at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, the Cleveland Cavaliers starts their rebuilding process post-Lebron James era when it selected Kyrie Irving of Duke University with its first pick. Irving...
- Blake Griffin Named As 2011 NBA Rookie of the Year In a unanimous vote, Blake Griffin is chosen as the best rookie for the 2010-11 NBA season bagging the Rookie of the Year Award. Selected as the #1 overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers,...
- Blake Griffin Headlines 2011 NBA Slam Dunk Contest Three-time Sprite Slam Dunk champion Nate “KryptoNate” Robinson will not be coming back to defend his crown at this year’s edition. So is former champ Dwight “Superman” Howard. Lebron James egged by many to participate don’t want to join too....
- 2010-11 NBA Season | Blake Griffin Scores Career High 47 Points! The High Griffinition is certainly having a super-rookie season. In the LA Clippers 114-107 win against the Indiana Pacers today, Blake Griffin scored a career high 47 points! That also happens to be the current NBA-best eclipsing Monta Ellis previous...
- 2010-11 NBA Season | Blake Griffin Finally Has A Nickname: High Griffinition NBA superstars are usually given nicknames based on their play on and off the court. There’s Kobe’s Black Mamba and Lebron’s King James. There’s even amusing ones like Glen “Big Baby” Davis and Dwight “Foul on You” Howard. Then, there’s...
- Blake Griffin Wins 2011 NBA Slam Dunk Contest By Jumping Over A Car! Even before the 2011 NBA Slam Dunk Contest has begun, many have already proclaimed LA Clippers forward Blake Griffin as the hands-down favorite to take home the crown this year. After all, he has already been named as one of...
- 2011-12 NBA Season | Blake Griffin’s Dunk of the Year Over Kendrick Perkins Last year, Rookie of the Year Blake Griffin made the most spectacular dunk of the NBA season when he dunked over Timofey Mozgov. [NOTE: He made 213 other dunks for the season.] Just when you thought he couldn’t do one...
- 2010-11 NBA Season | Blake Griffin’s Ridiculous Poster Dunk Selected by the LA Clippers as the first pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, Blake Griffin’s rookie campaign was put on hold when he broke his left kneecap during the Clippers’ final exhibition game against New Orleans. Finally healthy, Griffin...
- 2011 NBA Trades | Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers Let the CP3 – Blake Show begin! As early as July of last year, rumors have been circulating that top NBA point guard Chris Paul wants out of the New Orleans Hornets in favor of either three teams, the New...