Philipino, Phillipino or Philippino?Category: News
I noticed that many people especially foreigners are still incorrectly referring to a citizen of the Philippines as a Philipino, Phillipino or Philippino. Because the spelling of Philippines begins with a “ph”, it is easily assumed that the term for a citizen must also be spelled with a “ph”. This is just like referring to someone from Portugal as Portuguese or from France as French. Well, no other country in the world begins with “ph” so this kind of confusion is unique to us. Actually, the proper term would be Filipino or Filipina (feminine).
If you are asking why Filipino instead of Philipino when the Philippines is spelled with a “ph”, the answer lies with the old name for Philippines. When the country was first colonized by Spain, they give the archipelago the name “Las Islas Filipinas” and its inhabitants “Filipinos”. When it was American’s turn to colonize the country, it was renamed “Philippines”. However, the term “Filipino” stuck.
Filipino also refers to the official language of the Philippines which is based on the Tagalog dialect.
As of the June 2009 national statistics, there are 92 million Filipinos living in the Philippines and about 11 million living outside of which 3 million are in the United States, with Saudi Arabia coming second with 1 million.
Filipinos usually refer to themselves informally as Pinoy or Pinay (feminine). A Filipino is also derogatorily called as a Flip. It has a negative connotation because flip is used to mean “crazy”.
Filipino is popularized in the song “Bebot” by Black Eyed Peas from the album “Monkey Business”. Member apl.de.ap (Allan Pineda Lindo in real life) who sang the song is a Filipino. Here’s the music video:
Here’s a short list of some famous Filipinos:
José P. Rizal – National Hero
Fernando Poe, Jr.(cinema)
Monique Lhuillier (fashion and design)
Lea Salonga (music)
Charice Pempengco (music)
Billy Crawford (music)
Batista (professional wrestling) – father is Filipino
“Paeng” Nepomuceno (bowling)
Brandon Vera (mixed martial arts)
Arianny Celeste (mixed martial arts) – UFC Octagon ring girl, , mother is Filipina
Manny Pacquiao (boxing)
Erik Spoelstra (basketball) – Miami Heat head coach, mother is Filipina
Efren “Bata” Reyes (billiards)
Henry Sy (business)
Tim Lincecum (baseball) – San Francisco Giants pitcher, mother is Filipina
Vanessa Hudgens (acting) – star of High School Musical, mother is Filipina
Lou Diamond Phillips (acting) – mother is Filipina
Rob Schneider (acting) – mother is Filipina
Reference: Filipino People [Wikipedia]
Please read my related posts:
- The 2010 Philippine Election It’s time to vote! Today, May 10, 2010 is the general election in the Philippines where registered Filipino voters go to polling precincts to cast their votes for their national (Presidential, senatorial and congressional) and local (gubernatorial and mayoral) candidates....
- The Year That Was: Google Philippines Top Search Results for 2010 Chatroulette tops the Google search results for 2010 based on Google’s micro site Zeitgeist. You might probably have read the term for the first time here as this craze have not really hit our country this past year. What made...
- Cebu Pacific Dancing Flight Attendants Filipinos are generally fun-loving people. Since no one really pays attention anyway to the safety demonstration done by flight attendants for passengers aboard an airplane, Cebu Pacific decided to add some spice to it. Dancing to the tune of Lady...
- Another Pinoy Youtube Sensation | Rin on the Rox Ah, the power of the Internet. If you have what it takes, you can just upload video of yourself singing and wait for Ellen DeGeneres to ultimately discover and invite you to her show. That’s almost a sure fire way...
- Manny Pacquiao is World’s 6th Highest Paid Athlete Forbes has just released its list of The World’s Highest Paid Athletes. Each athlete’s salaries, bonuses, prize money, endorsements and licensing income between June 2008 and June 2009 were considered. When the final tally was made, it’s no surprise that...
- Vote for Manny Pacquiao in Time Magazine’s Top 100 List Time Magazine has already released the finalists for its annual list of 100 Most Influential People in the World. For this year’s list, 202 people (sometimes pairs or groups) are included in the online voting. The Philippines’ very own Manny...
- PCSO Grand Lotto 6/55 Results November 29, 2010: Lone Bettor Wins P741M Jackpot! PCSO’s (Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office) Grand Lotto 6/55 has now caught the Philippines on fire! Introduced just last April 2010, it has attracted millions of Filipinos from all walks of life. The current jackpot prize is already at a record...
- Singer Whitney Houston Dead at 48 R.I.P. On February 11, 2012, Whitney Houston was found dead in her guest room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, in Beverly Hills, California, of causes not immediately known. Her untimely death happened on the eve of music’s biggest night – the...
- Violence, Long Lines, Voting Machine Glitches Did Not Prevent Pinoys From Casting Their Votes The 2010 Philippine Election was marred by violence long before it even started when 57 people were killed (mostly media men) in Maguindanao Province, Mindanao last November 23, 2009. On May 10, 2010 (election day), 27 casualties and 40 injuries...
- Today’s Google Doodle: Philippine Independence Day Google joins Filipinos all over the world in the 112th Anniversary of Philippine Independence with a special doodle on its homepage today. The Philippine Declaration of Independence occurred on June 12, 1898 in Cavite II el Viejo (now Kawit), Cavite,...