Shane Mosley vs Andre Berto Fight is Off!Category: Boxing
Andre “The Beast” Berto is the current WBC welterweight champion of Haitian descent. He sports an undefeated record with 26 wins, 19 by way of knockout.
He is supposed to defend his belt against WBA Welterweight Super Champion “Sugar” Shane Mosley for a WBC, WBA welterweight title unification bout on January 30, 2010 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
However, due to the January 12 earthquake in Haiti, the Shane Mosley vs Andre Berto fight is now officially called off.
In a statement, Andre Berto said:
“Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood,”
“I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica, survived, but were left homeless. I have seen the pain in my parents’ eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home.”
“As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30.”
Berto, whose parents are from Haiti and who has many relatives on the island, had been in training in Florida and was scheduled to arrive in Las Vegas on Wednesday. But he said he could not go forward, despite the fight being “an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood.”
“The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event,”
In a statement from his training camp in Big Bear, California, Shane Mosley said:
“I’m disappointed that the fight has been called off, but I understand that Andre is going through a very difficult time,”
“My heart goes out to him, his family and the people of Haiti during the aftermath of this terrible tragedy. I’m sorry for the losses that Andre and all of the Haitian people are suffering. I have everyone in my prayers.”
The cancellation of the Shane Mosley vs Andre Berto bout is a big disappointment to boxing fans considering that it is one of the few mega bouts that will take place this year.
However, it might have paved the way to another fight fans want to actually see, the Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley bout.
Please read my related posts:
- Andre Berto Defends Welterweight Crown, To Face Manny Pacquiao Next? WBC welterweight champion Andre “The Beast” Berto was supposed to defend his belt against WBA Welterweight Super Champion “Sugar” Shane...
- Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley Up Next? Due to the January 12 Haiti earthquake, the Shane Mosley vs Andre Berto bout is now canceled. Berto is an...
- Victor Ortiz vs Andre Berto II: The Rematch MATCHUP: Victor “Vicious” Ortiz vs Andre “The Beast” Berto 2 EVENT: Ortiz vs Berto 2: The Rematch DATE: February 11,...
- HBO Boxing After Dark | Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz MATCHUP: Andre “The Beast” Berto vs Victor “Vicious” Ortiz EVENT: HBO Boxing After Dark: Berto vs Ortiz DATE: April 16,...
- Shane Mosley Announces Fight With Manny Pacquiao on Twitter It’s official, Manny Pacquiao’s opponent for his next fight would be Shane Mosley. Sugar Shane himself announced the news on...