The Terminator Executed by Hopkins in RematchCategory: Boxing
On May 22, 1993, Roy “The Terminator” Jones, Jr. got his first world title when he beat Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins by unanimous decision (116-112 in all judges’ scorecards) to capture the IBF’s vacant middleweight title.
Since that fight, Jones went on to become “Fighter of the Decade” for the 1990s by the Boxing Writers Association of America and has captured IBF championships in the middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight divisions and is commonly regarded as one of the greatest boxers of all time.
Hopkins is no patsy either as he defended his middleweight world championship crown a record 20 times in a 10 year reign and became the undisputed middleweight champ.
Fast forward to today, the two boxers agreed to fight in a rematch on April 3, 2010 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Jones vs Hopkins 2 is happening 17 years after their first fight.
The bout is titled “The Rivals: Hopkins vs Jones 2″.
This is interesting as the two are already in their 40s and a shell of their former selves.
Jones (54-6, 40 KOs) is now 41 and in his last 10 fights, 5 were defeats. His most recent fight ended in a stunning 1st Round KO defeat against Australian Danny Green, the IBO Cruiserweight champion at the Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia on December 2, 2009.
Hopkins (50-5, 35 KOs) is now 45 and in his last 7 fights, 3 were defeats. His most recent fight ended in a Unanimous Decision win for him over Mexican Enrique Ornelas at Philadelphia, PA, USA on December 2, 2009.
UPDATE: Bernard Hopkins won via unanimous decision with the judges scoring the fight 117-110, 117-110 and 118-109.
Here’s the Roy Jones Jr. vs Bernard Hopkins 2 video:
Check out the Roy Jones Jr. vs Bernard Hopkins videos of their first bout 17 years ago:
NOTE: Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins have a wager which has established that the man who knocks out the other receives 60 percent of the purse compared to 40 percent to the loser.
The Rivals: Hopkins vs Jones 2 was held last Saturday, April 3, 2010 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Please read my related posts:
- The Rivals: Hopkins vs Jones II This April 3, 2010 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Roy “The Terminator” Jones, Jr....
- HBO Boxing: Dynasty 2, Jean Pascal vs Bernard Hopkins Rematch MATCHUP: Jean Pascal vs Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins 2 EVENT: Dynasty II: Pascal vs Hopkins DATE: May 21, 2011 VENUE:...
- Believe It Or Not! | Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson MATCHUP: Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins vs Chad “Bad” Dawson EVENT: Believe It Or Not: Hopkins vs Dawson DATE: October 15,...
- HBO Boxing: Dynasty 2, Bernard Hopkins Becomes Oldest Boxing Champion at 46! Never count the old man out. Last December 18, 2010 Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins and Jean Pascal met for the...
- Roy Jones, Jr. Suffers TKO Loss To Danny Green In the 90s and earlier this decade, Roy Jones Jr. was so dominant that he has compiled a 49-1 record...