Martinez Busted The Ghost to Become New Middleweight ChampCategory: Boxing
On October 18, 2008, then 26-year old Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik was dominated by 43 year-old Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins in a non-title light-heavyweight limit on the way to a Unanimous Decision victory by the older boxer.
That bout gave Pavlik his first and only loss so far in his boxing career.
Two years later, Pavlik (36 wins, 1 loss) is still trying to prove that the ghost of that tough loss is haunting him no more. While Hopkins have shown some signs that he should already retire from his lousy fight with Roy Jones, Jr., Pavlik is still very much capable of fighting as evidenced by his two recent wins against Marco Rubio and Miguel Espino.
On April 17, 2010 at Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA, Pavlik will defend his WBC, WBO and The Ring middleweight championship titles against his toughest opponent yet not named Bernard Hopkins and Jermain Taylor; Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez.
Martinez (44 wins, 2 losses) is an Argentinian boxer who is the current WBC Super Welterweight champion and is a former WBC Latino and IBO light middleweight champion. He was impressive in his loss against Paul Williams even dropping “The Punisher” to the canvas in the first round. He moves up to the middleweight class to challenge Pavlik for his titles.
UPDATE April 17, 2010: Sergio Martinez survived a 7th Round knockdown to give Kelly Pavlik a bloody beating and win via Unanimous Decision (115-112, 115-111, 116-111).
Martinez is now the new WBC, WBO and The Ring middleweight champion.
Check out the Kelly Pavlik vs Sergio Martinez videos below. Thanks to YouTube’s primeraprim.
Pavlik vs Martinez was aired LIVE from the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA on April 17, 2010.
Please read my related posts:
- HBO Boxing: Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams 2, The Rematch Two of the best middleweight boxers in the world will meet once again in an awaited rematch of their December...
- Sergio Martinez Knocks Out Paul Williams! This reminded me of Manny Pacquiao knocking out Ricky Hatton. The knockout punch, the round where it ended, and how...
- HBO Boxing: Martinez vs Dzinziruk, Maravilla Knocks Out Razor in Eight MATCHUP: Sergio Gabriel “Maravilla” Martinez vs Sergei “Razor” Dzinziruk EVENT: Celtic War – Martinez vs Dzinziruk DATE: March 12, 2011...
- HBO Boxing: Sergio Martinez vs Darren Barker MATCHUP: Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez vs Darren “Dazzling” Barker EVENT: HBO: Martinez vs Barker, No Fear. No Mercy. DATE: October 1,...
- Pacquiao vs Mosley Undercard: Kelly Pavlik vs Alfonso López III MATCHUP: Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik vs Alfonso “El Tigre” López III EVENT: Pacquiao vs Mosley Undercard DATE: May 7, 2011...