2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Phoenix Suns vs San Antonio SpursCategory: Basketball
The Shaq experiment failed last season for the Phoenix Suns as the team missed the postseason despite finishing with a 46-36 record.
After trading Shaquille O’Neal to the Cleveland Cavaliers, signing Channing Frye and giving contract extensions to Steve Nash and Grant Hill, Phoenix is back to its “7 Seconds or Less” offensive philosophy and is back in the NBA playoffs.
After coming off their worst regular season in the Tim Duncan era, the seventh-seeded Spurs pulled-off an upset against the #2 seed Dallas Mavericks winning the series 4 games to 2. San Antonio is only the fifth #7 seed to win a first-round series, and the first since the opening round became a best-of-7 in 2003. It hadn’t been done since New York beat Miami in 1998.
1. The Suns entered the 2010 NBA Playoffs as the #3 seed in the Western Conference while the Spurs is #7.
2. In the regular season, the Suns won twice out of the three games they met.
3. The Suns is led by the tandem of Steve Nash (16.5 ppg, 11 apg, 93.8 ft%) and Amare Stoudemire (23.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 1 bpg).
4. The Spurs is led by its trio of Tim Duncan (17.9 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 3.2 apg), Tony Parker (16 ppg, 5.7 apg) and Manu Ginobili (16.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.9 apg).
SCHEDULE: Suns win series 4-0
Game 1 May 3 10:30 pm US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona TNT
Game 2 May 5 9:00 pm US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona TBA
Game 3 May 7 9:30 pm AT&T Center, San Antonio, Texas ESPN
Game 4 May 9 8:00 pm AT&T Center, San Antonio, Texas TBA
Game 5 TBA TBA * US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona TBA
Game 6 TBA TBA * AT&T Center, San Antonio, Texas TBA
Game 7 TBA TBA * US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona TBA
NOTE: * denotes games to be played if necessary
I will post recaps after every game.
Suns point guard Steve Nash had 33 points (17 in the first quarter) and 10 assists to finally give the Suns a Game 1 win over the Spurs, 111-102. Amare Stoudemire added 23 points and 13 rebounds.
Prior to this game, the Spurs had won three straight Game 1s against the Suns, two of them in Phoenix. Both of those times, in 2005 and 2007, the Spurs went on to win the NBA title.
The Spurs Big Three of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili scored 20, 26 and 27 respectively.
Wearing jerseys with “Los Suns” imprinted on them to honor its Latino community on Cinco de Mayo and to protest Arizona’s new anti-immigration law, the Phoenix Suns took a 2-0 lead winning 110-102.
Amare Stoudemire lead his team with 23 points and 11 rebounds while Channing Frye made 5 of 6 attempts beyond the 3-point line.
Tim Duncan had 29 points and 10 rebounds and Richard Jefferson added 18 points and 10 boards for the San Antonio Spurs.
The Suns is now one win away from ending years of playoff misery against the Spurs, taking a 3-0 lead with a 110-96 victory.
Backup point guard Goran Dragic was the difference-maker as he scored 23 of his 26 points in the 4th quarter making all of his four 3-point attempts.
Manu Ginobili led the Spurs with 27 points while Tim Duncan had 15 points and 13 rebounds.
No team in NBA history has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series.
The Suns have finally passed the Spurs’ test as they sweep their season series with San Antonio with a score of 107-101.
Working with only one eye after a Duncan elbow struck it in the 3rd quarter, Steve Nash lead the Suns charge in the 4th quarter with Amare Stoudemire to outscore the Spurs 35-30.
Nash finished with 20 points and 9 assists while Amare had 29 points.
Tony Parker scored 22 points to lead the Spurs, who were swept out of the playoffs for the first time since 2001.
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Goran Dragic Dominates 4th Quarter in Suns Win As a back-up point guard to two-time NBA Most Valuable Player Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns, Goran Dragic is expected to just provide temporary relief for Nash while he is sitting on the bench. However, he showed flashes of...
- 2012 NBA Playoffs Western Conference Finals | San Antonio Spurs vs Oklahoma City Thunder Tim Duncan is searching for his 5th championship ring while Kevin Durant, his first. The 2012 Western Conference Finals meeting feature Duncan’s San Antonio Spurs and Durant’s Oklahoma City Thunder. One of the best power forwards in NBA history against...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals Round | LA Lakers vs Phoenix Suns Kobe Bryant is hoping that in the third time around, the ending will be different. In the previous two meetings between the LA Lakers and the Phoenix Suns in the 2006 and 2007 playoffs (the Suns lost in 2008 to...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Bracket: Conference Semifinals Round After defeating the Charlotte Bobcats 99-90 in Game 4 of their First Round matchup today, the Orlando Magic is the first team to move on to the next round of the current 2010 NBA Playoffs competition. Hence, the Conference Semifinals...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Steve Nash the Cyclop It was an ugly sight to behold. In the 3rd quarter of the Suns-Spurs conference semifinals series, a renegade Tim Duncan elbow hits Steve Nash’ right eye. Immediately, Nash was taken out to the locker room as his eye required...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | LA Lakers vs Utah Jazz The quest for a back-to-back NBA championship is still alive for the LA Lakers. After dispatching the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 6 with the slimmest of margins 95-94 in their 1st Round matchup, the Lakers has moved on the...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Bracket: Conference Finals Round Even with one eye, Steve Nash and his Phoenix Suns becomes the first team today to move on to the next round of the current 2010 NBA Playoffs competition after a 4-0 sweep of their nemesis the San Antonio Spurs....
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Cleveland Cavaliers vs Boston Celtics In the 2008 NBA Playoffs, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics met in an epic Eastern Conference Semifinals with the home team winning every game. In a Game 7 mano-a-mano, Lebron James and Paul Pierce were involved in a shootout ...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Orlando Magic vs Atlanta Hawks In the Orlando Magic’s First Round series with the Charlotte Bobcats, center Dwight Howard was a non-factor on offense as he spent a lot of time on the bench due to foul trouble. He fouled out twice and racked up...
- Phoenix Suns Eliminated From 2009 NBA Playoffs The door to the 2009 NBA Playoffs has been officially slammed shut for my beloved Phoenix Suns. A hard-fought 105-100 win against Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets today did not prevent the team from missing the playoffs for...