2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Orlando Magic vs Atlanta HawksCategory: Basketball
In the Orlando Magic’s First Round series with the Charlotte Bobcats, center Dwight Howard was a non-factor on offense as he spent a lot of time on the bench due to foul trouble. He fouled out twice and racked up a total of 22 fouls that his team mates gave him a new nickname, “Foul on You”.
Even so, his team mates picked up the slack and the Defensive Player of the Year still worked his way in the defensive end blocking a total of 20 shots highlighted by a 9-block Game 1 performance to sweep the hapless Bobcats 4-0.
In contrast, their Semifinal Round opponent, Atlanta Hawks have to work hard in order to get out of a tough encounter with the pesky Milwaukee Bucks in the only First Round series that went seven games. In Game 7, the Hawks finally ran loose from the Bucks tight grip, 95-74.
This will be a battle between a well-rested team and a tired team.
1. The Magic entered the 2010 NBA Playoffs as the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference while the Hawks is #3.
2. The Magic won their regular season series with the Hawks, 3-1.
3. The Magic is led by the tandem of Dwight Howard (18.3 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.8 bpg) and Vince Carter (16.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg).
4. The Hawks is led by its 3Js of Joe Johnson (21.3 ppg, 4.9 apg), Josh Smith (15.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.1 bpg, 1.6 spg) and Jamal Crawford (18 ppg).
SCHEDULE: Magic win series 4-0
Game 1 May 4 8:00 pm Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida TNT
Game 2 May 6 8:00 pm Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida ESPN
Game 3 May 8 TBA Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia TBA
Game 4 May 10 8:00 pm Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia TBA
Game 5 May 12 7:00 pm * Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida TNT
Game 6 May 14 7:00 pm * Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia TBA
Game 7 May 16 TBA * Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida TBA
NOTE: * denotes games to be played if necessary
I will post recaps after every game.
Superman returns! Dwight Howard scored 21 points, collared 12 rebounds and swatted away 5 shots while avoiding foul trouble to lead the Magic to a lopsided 114-71 win over the Hawks.
The 43-point margin is the largest margin of victory in a playoff game for Orlando since its 47-point win in the first round against Boston in 1995.
Josh Smith lead the Hawks with 14 points.
For the second straight game, Superman came out to play. Not even a slap on his face by Al Horford which bloodied his nose could stop Dwight Howard from delivering a monster game with 29 points and 17 rebounds as the Magic beat the Hawks, 112-98.
Al Horford led Atlanta with 24 points, and Joe Johnson had 19 points. The Hawks was near perfect from the free-throw line missing just one attempt, 30 of 31.
Even at their home court, the Hawks can do nothing to stop the Magic giving up a 105-75 blowout loss, their worst home playoff loss in franchise history.
Dwight Howard had another Superman-like game with 21 points and 16 rebounds but he was not alone in the onslaught as all 10 Orlando players scored.
Jamal Crawford led the Hawks with 22 points. Atlanta’s previous worst playoff defeat at home was a 107-83 rout by Philadelphia in 1980.
No team in NBA history has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series.
The Hawks really have no chance against this Magic team in another lopsided loss 98-84 to complete their second consecutive 4-0 sweep.
Orlando won the four games by an average of 25.3 points. The Magic’s 101-point margin of victory (wins of 43, 14, 30 and 14 points) is the most in NBA history in a four-game playoff series.
Dwight Howard finished with the highest shooting percentage of a player (84.4%) in a playoff series.
The Magic is off to their second consecutive Eastern Conference Finals round in which they will face the Celtics who beat the Cavaliers in six games.
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals Round | Orlando Magic vs Boston Celtics Losing eight of their final thirteen games, the Boston Celtics were already dismissed as has-beens and many thought that the Chicago Bulls might be able to upset them in the First Round. Seems like the Celtics are the one capable...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Bracket: Conference Semifinals Round After defeating the Charlotte Bobcats 99-90 in Game 4 of their First Round matchup today, the Orlando Magic is the first team to move on to the next round of the current 2010 NBA Playoffs competition. Hence, the Conference Semifinals...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs First Round | Hawks Defeats Bucks in Game 7 The 2010 NBA Playoffs First Round series between the Eastern Conference #3 seed Atlanta Hawks and #6 Milwaukee Bucks has now reached it penultimate game. It’s win or go home time now. It’s Game 7 of the Hawks-Bucks series! This...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Cleveland Cavaliers vs Boston Celtics In the 2008 NBA Playoffs, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics met in an epic Eastern Conference Semifinals with the home team winning every game. In a Game 7 mano-a-mano, Lebron James and Paul Pierce were involved in a shootout ...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | LA Lakers vs Utah Jazz The quest for a back-to-back NBA championship is still alive for the LA Lakers. After dispatching the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 6 with the slimmest of margins 95-94 in their 1st Round matchup, the Lakers has moved on the...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Bracket: Conference Finals Round Even with one eye, Steve Nash and his Phoenix Suns becomes the first team today to move on to the next round of the current 2010 NBA Playoffs competition after a 4-0 sweep of their nemesis the San Antonio Spurs....
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Phoenix Suns vs San Antonio Spurs The Shaq experiment failed last season for the Phoenix Suns as the team missed the postseason despite finishing with a 46-36 record. After trading Shaquille O’Neal to the Cleveland Cavaliers, signing Channing Frye and giving contract extensions to Steve Nash...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals Round | Glen Davis Knocked Out! The way Glen Davis was getting up, he looked like just a ‘Big Baby’ trying his first time on how to stand up. After being inadvertently smacked by Dwight Howard’s elbow in the face in the 3rd quarter of Game...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs First Round | Dwight Howard Has a New Nickname This might finally give Shaq peace of mind. Dwight Howard is Superman no more. In the Orlando Magic’s 99-90 Game 4 win over the Charlotte Bobcats, Howard has fouled out again. This is the second time in as many games...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Goran Dragic Dominates 4th Quarter in Suns Win As a back-up point guard to two-time NBA Most Valuable Player Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns, Goran Dragic is expected to just provide temporary relief for Nash while he is sitting on the bench. However, he showed flashes of...