UFC 113 | Can Shogun Finally Slay The Dragon?Category: MMA
At UFC 104, Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida successfully defended his UFC Light-Heavyweight Championship belt against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua wnning by unanimous decision and with a score of 48-47 from all three judges.
However, that decision was highly disputed and controversial because many fans and writers felt that the win should have gone to Rua.
Notable MMA personalities like UFC president Dana White, UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta, Randy Couture, Royce Gracie, Rashad Evans, Wanderlei Silva and Rampage Jackson to name a few also stated they felt that Rua won the fight.
Even the Fightmetric and Compustrike analysis of the fight suggested that Rua should have won.
So to settle once and for all the score, Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua will meet again at the main event of UFC 113 this Saturday, May 8, 2010 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada more than six months later.
This will be the most anticipated rematch in the history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship organization.
Lyoto Machida (16 wins-0 losses) is the current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and currently ranked as the #1 Light Heavyweight fighter in the world and the #4 pound-for-pound fighter by Sherdog.
He utilizes a karate striking style that implements a wide Shotokan stance and he is often described as an elusive fighter as he often relies on cautious and precise counter-striking that frustrates his opponents into making mistakes.
He won his title at UFC 98 against TUF Season 10 coach Rashad Evans knocking him out in the second round.
Shogun Rua (18 wins-4 losses) is the former PRIDE Middleweight Grand Prix Tournament Winner. He is currently ranked as the #2 Light Heavyweight fighter in the world by Sherdog.
He is an expert Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner. In his bout with Machida, he was able to neutralize Machida’s counters and did damage with his own leg kicks.
At UFC 113, Shogun will have his second chance to do what 15 other fighters failed to do, that is, to slay The Dragon.
Fans really can’t wait to know the UFC 113 results.
UPDATE May 8, 2010: The question is finally answered. Shogun knocks out Machida at 3:35 of round 1!
Here’s the Machida vs Shogun 2 fight video:
Please read my related posts:
- UFC 113, Rematch Between The Dragon and Shogun More than six months after their first encounter at UFC 104, Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida will meet Mauricio “Shogun” Rua...
- UFC 104 | Can Shogun Slay The Dragon? The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) organization is set to conquer the world of mixed-martial arts (MMA) again with its 104th...
- UFC 104 | Shogun Fails to Slay the Dragon The main event of UFC 104 featured current UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida in his first defense...
- UFC 113: Machida vs Shogun 2 Replay UFC 113: Machida vs Shogun 2 featured the rematch between Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. They previously...
- UFC 113 | Shogun Knocks Out Machida! At the end of 5 rounds of their first encounter at UFC 104, when Mauricio “Shogun” Rua challenged Lyoto “The...