2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals Round | Orlando Magic vs Boston CelticsCategory: Basketball
Losing eight of their final thirteen games, the Boston Celtics were already dismissed as has-beens and many thought that the Chicago Bulls might be able to upset them in the First Round.
Seems like the Celtics are the one capable of an upset delivering the mighty blow on the Cavaliers in six games today and rendering Lebron James’ future in Cleveland as questionable.
Last year, the Celtics faced the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals in a hard-fought series that went all of seven games and won by the Magic.
This year, the two teams are in for a rematch albeit in the Eastern Conference Finals.
The Orlando Magic might have had smooth sailing through two rounds sweeping the Charlotte Bobcats and the Atlanta Hawks along the way but in the Boston Celtics, the Magic will probably have a rough time as the Celtics are very capable of matching with them.
1. The Magic advanced to their second straight Eastern Conference finals while the Celtics the first time since 2008 when they won the championship.
2. The Magic entered the 2010 NBA Playoffs as the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference while the Celtics is #4.
3. In the regular season, the Magic defeated the Celtics 3 times out of 4 meetings.
4. The Magic is led by the trio of Dwight Howard (18.3 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.8 bpg), Vince Carter (16.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg) and Jameer Nelson (12.6 ppg, 5.4 apg)
5. The Celtics is led by its Big Four of Paul Pierce (18.3 ppg, 4.4 apg, 1.2 spg), Kevin Garnett (14.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.7 apg), Ray Allen (16.3 ppg, 36.3 3p%, 91.3ft%) and Rajon Rondo (13.7 ppg, 9.8 apg, 2.3 spg).
SCHEDULE: Celtics won series 4-2
Game 1 May 16 3:30 pm Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida ABC 92-88 Celtics
Game 2 May 18 8:30 pm Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida ESPN 95-92 Celtics
Game 3 May 22 8:30 pm TD Garden, Boston, Massachusetts ESPN 94-71 Celtics
Game 4 May 24 8:30 pm TD Garden, Boston, Massachusetts ESPN 96-92 Magic OT
Game 5 May 26 8:30 pm Amway Arena, Orlando, Florida ESPN 113-92 Magic
Game 6 May 28 8:30 pm TD Garden, Boston, Massachusetts ESPN 96-84 Celtics
GAME BY GAME RECAP:
Showing no signs of old age or injury that have hampered them in the regular season, the Celtics drew first blood winning 92-88 with their smothering defense.
The Magic looked rusty in shooting only 41% overall from the field and 22% from the 3-point line. Even Dwight Howard was held to only 3 of 10 shooting in scoring 13 points, and getting 12 rebounds and 5 blocks. Vince Carter scored 23 points while Jameer Nelson added 20 points.
Ray Allen scored 25 points and Paul Pierce had 22 for the Celtics.
Dwight Howard said,
“I don’t think it was rusty. Just anxious We dug ourselves a hole, and it was tough to get back from.”
Check out the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery that took place before the game.
After sweeping the first 2 rounds, the Magic has now tasted a dose of its own medicine as they are now in danger of being swept themselves by the Celtics.
Paul Pierce scored 28 points to lead his team to a 95-92 road victory against a team that had won 14 straight until this series.
Dwight Howard had 30 points, and Vince Carter and J.J. Redick scored 16 apiece for the Magic, who overcame an 11-point deficit to take a brief lead in the fourth quarter. But they couldn’t hold it.
Carter missed two free throws with 31.9 seconds left that might have cost Orlando the game.
With a 16-point 1st quarter lead, the Celtics never looked back and ran away from the hapless Magic to win 94-71 and take a commanding 3-0 lead in the series.
Glen Davis scored 17 points, and Rajon Rondo added 11 points and 12 assists to lead Boston over a mismatched Orlando who could only get 7 points and 7 rebounds from its superstar center Dwight Howard.
The Celtics are one win away from their second trip to the finals in three years. No NBA team has ever lost a playoff series after winning the first three games.
There will be no sweep in the Eastern Conference Finals. Dwight Howard made sure of that.
After managing only 7 points and 7 rebounds in a Game 3 loss, Howard delivered a superb performance with 32 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks to lead the Magic to a 96-92 victory over the Celtics.
After the Celtics came back from a seven-point deficit with 2:24 left in regulation to force the game into overtime 86-all, Jameer Nelson made back-to-back 3-pointers in overtime to finish with 23 points and nine assists.
Paul Pierce had 32 points and 11 rebounds but missed two three-point attempts in the final minute as the Celtics failed to complete the sweep.
Trying to become the first team to win coming from a 3-0 deficit, the Magic is halfway their quest with a 113-92 victory over the Celtics.
Dwight Howard had 21 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks and knocked out Glen Davis to the floor after his errant elbow hit the Boston center in the face.
‘Big Baby’ is obviously still dazed having a hard time getting up. He looked like he was just knocked down by Mike Tyson!
Kendrick Perkins was also ejected after earning his second technical foul for arguing with officials after a foul on Howard.
Overall, Orlando’s shooters made 13-of-25 3-pointers to break out of a series-long shooting slump.
There will be no history in the making for the Orlando Magic.
Nate Robinson made sure of that.
Scoring all of his 13 points in the second quarter, Robinson proved to be Superman Dwight Howard’s kryptonite by leading a charge that allowed the Celtics to pull away for a 96-84 victory and series win, 4-2.
Howard had 28 points and 12 rebounds to led the Magic.
The Boston Celtics is back in the 2010 NBA Finals after winning it in 2008 .
They will face the Los Angeles Lakers in a rematch of their 2008 NBA Finals showdown.
Watch the 2010 NBA Finals online starting June 3, 2010.
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Orlando Magic vs Atlanta Hawks In the Orlando Magic’s First Round series with the Charlotte Bobcats, center Dwight Howard was a non-factor on offense as he spent a lot of time on the bench due to foul trouble. He fouled out twice and racked up...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Cleveland Cavaliers vs Boston Celtics In the 2008 NBA Playoffs, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics met in an epic Eastern Conference Semifinals with the home team winning every game. In a Game 7 mano-a-mano, Lebron James and Paul Pierce were involved in a shootout ...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals Round | Glen Davis Knocked Out! The way Glen Davis was getting up, he looked like just a ‘Big Baby’ trying his first time on how to stand up. After being inadvertently smacked by Dwight Howard’s elbow in the face in the 3rd quarter of Game...
- 2012 NBA Playoffs Eastern Conference Finals | Miami Heat vs Boston Celtics Game 7 For the second consecutive year, the Miami Heat reach the Eastern Conference Finals to face off with the Boston Celtics who made the round since 2010 when they made it all the way to the NBA Finals. Lebron James and...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Bracket: Conference Finals Round Even with one eye, Steve Nash and his Phoenix Suns becomes the first team today to move on to the next round of the current 2010 NBA Playoffs competition after a 4-0 sweep of their nemesis the San Antonio Spurs....
- 2010 NBA Finals | LA Lakers vs Boston Celtics The Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics last met in 2008 when the Celtics won the series 4-2 for their 17th crown. After dispatching their Conference Finals opponents in 6 games: the Lakers against the Suns while the Celtics...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Bracket: Conference Semifinals Round After defeating the Charlotte Bobcats 99-90 in Game 4 of their First Round matchup today, the Orlando Magic is the first team to move on to the next round of the current 2010 NBA Playoffs competition. Hence, the Conference Semifinals...
- 2009 NBA Finals Lakers vs Magic Game 3 | Orlando Shoots a Finals Record 63% In First Ever Win Now we have a series. At home and at a place where they feel comfortable, away from the limelight of Hollywood, the Magic finally snapped their six-game winless streak in the NBA Finals dating back to 1995 when the team...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals Round | LA Lakers vs Phoenix Suns Kobe Bryant is hoping that in the third time around, the ending will be different. In the previous two meetings between the LA Lakers and the Phoenix Suns in the 2006 and 2007 playoffs (the Suns lost in 2008 to...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs First Round | Dwight Howard Has a New Nickname This might finally give Shaq peace of mind. Dwight Howard is Superman no more. In the Orlando Magic’s 99-90 Game 4 win over the Charlotte Bobcats, Howard has fouled out again. This is the second time in as many games...