Washington Wizards Win 2010 NBA Draft LotteryCategory: Basketball
In the 2009-10 NBA season, the New Jersey Nets set many dubious records in futility imaginable.
They started with 18 straight losses to set an NBA record. Became the sixth team in NBA history to lose 28 of its first 30 games (tying the worst 30-game start in NBA history). Became the third team in NBA history to lose 40 of its first 43 games (tying the worst 3-win start in NBA history). And after falling to 4–46, tied the record for worst 50 game start in the history of the three major sports (NBA, MLB, NHL) who play seasons that long.
Now, the New Jersey Nets have a chance to reverse its fortune.
After finishing last in the overall standings with a record of 12 wins and 70 losses,the team has the highest chance to get the first overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery to be held on May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey.
The NBA Draft Lottery is an annual event by the NBA in which the teams who had missed the playoffs participate in a lottery process to determine the draft order in the NBA Draft. The lottery winner would get the first selection in the draft.
For the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery, 14 teams participate with the team having the worst record in the regular season given the best chance to obtain a higher draft pick.
Here are the chances for each team to get specific picks in the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery, rounded to three decimal places:
|New Jersey Nets||12–70||250||.250||.215||.177||.358|
|Golden State Warriors||26–56||104||.104||.112||.121||.099||.373||.178||.014|
|Los Angeles Clippers||29–53||23||.023||.027||.032|
|New York Knicks||29–53||22||.022||.026||.031|
|New Orleans Hornets||37–45||8||.008||.009||.012|
UPDATE May 18, 2010: With just a 10.3% chance of winning the lottery, the Washington Wizards were able to land the rights for the #1 pick.
With majority owner Irene Pollin wearing the 1978 Bullets championship ring of her late husband, longtime owner Abe Pollin, the Wizards moved up from the fifth spot vaulting over Golden State, Sacramento, Minnesota and New Jersey.
If they get top prospect John Wall, a backcourt tandem with Gilbert Arenas will be deadly for the team.
The New Jersey Nets unfortunately fell to third. It’s the sixth straight year the team with the best chance to win didn’t land the top pick in the NBA draft.
They’re probably hoping that 2010 National Player of the Year Evan Turner is still available for the picking when their turn comes.
So, the complete 2010 NBA Draft order would be:
3. New Jersey
6. Golden State
8. L.A. Clippers
11. New Orleans
20. San Antonio
21. Oklahoma City
26. Oklahoma City
27. New Jersey
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 NBA Draft | Washington Wizards Select John Wall With First Pick With just a 10.3% chance of winning the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery last May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey, USA, the Washington Wizards were able to land the rights for the #1 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. In...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Win 2011 NBA Draft Lottery In 2003, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the first pick in the NBA Draft Lottery. We all know who they picked. However, after 7 seasons highlighted by a 2007 NBA Finals appearance, Lebron James decided to bring his talents to South...
- 2010 NBA Trades | The Magic-Suns-Wizards Blockbuster! Blame this to the Miami Thrice. After 26 games into the 2010-11 NBA season, the Orlando Magic finds itself losing its grip on the Southeast Division first place with a dysfunctional squad while the Heat is streaking to 12 consecutive...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Select Kyrie Irving With First Pick in the 2011 NBA Draft At the 2011 NBA Draft held on June 23, 2011 at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, the Cleveland Cavaliers starts their rebuilding process post-Lebron James era when it selected Kyrie Irving of Duke University with its first pick. Irving...
- 2010 NBA Free-Agent Signings | Lebron James to Miami Heat Lebron James has finally made the decision. In a one-hour TV special on ESPN titled “The Decision” last July 8 at 9:00 PM, Lebron has announced that he will be joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to play for the...
- 2010-11 NBA Season | Let’s Do The John Wall Dougie Urban dictionary defines dougie as a dance move originally inspired by the 80′s rapper Doug E Fresh. He did a motion where he rubbed his head with his hand from the front to the back. The move is now gaining...
- 2009 NBA Draft | LA Clippers Select Blake Griffin With First Pick It’s a no-brainer. The Los Angeles Clippers have selected Blake Griffin with the first overall pick. Griffin is a power forward playing for the Oklahoma Sooners of the University of Oklahoma He was named the Associated Press, the John Wooden...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Goran Dragic Dominates 4th Quarter in Suns Win As a back-up point guard to two-time NBA Most Valuable Player Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns, Goran Dragic is expected to just provide temporary relief for Nash while he is sitting on the bench. However, he showed flashes of...
- Tyreke Evans Named the 2010 NBA Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans is in pretty good company. After averaging 20.1 points, 5.8 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game, he joined Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson and Lebron James as the only NBA players in history to average at least 20-5-5 in...
- NBA Trades 2011 | Deron Williams to New Jersey Nets The NBA landscape is fast reshaping. After yesterday’s trade with the Denver Nuggets sending their All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony to the New York Knicks, another surprising deal has reverberated across the NBA. This time, it involves the Utah Jazz All-Star...