Washington Wizards Win 2010 NBA Draft LotteryCategory: Basketball
In the 2009-10 NBA season, the New Jersey Nets set many dubious records in futility imaginable.
They started with 18 straight losses to set an NBA record. Became the sixth team in NBA history to lose 28 of its first 30 games (tying the worst 30-game start in NBA history). Became the third team in NBA history to lose 40 of its first 43 games (tying the worst 3-win start in NBA history). And after falling to 4–46, tied the record for worst 50 game start in the history of the three major sports (NBA, MLB, NHL) who play seasons that long.
Now, the New Jersey Nets have a chance to reverse its fortune.
After finishing last in the overall standings with a record of 12 wins and 70 losses,the team has the highest chance to get the first overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery to be held on May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey.
The NBA Draft Lottery is an annual event by the NBA in which the teams who had missed the playoffs participate in a lottery process to determine the draft order in the NBA Draft. The lottery winner would get the first selection in the draft.
For the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery, 14 teams participate with the team having the worst record in the regular season given the best chance to obtain a higher draft pick.
Here are the chances for each team to get specific picks in the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery, rounded to three decimal places:
|New Jersey Nets||12–70||250||.250||.215||.177||.358|
|Golden State Warriors||26–56||104||.104||.112||.121||.099||.373||.178||.014|
|Los Angeles Clippers||29–53||23||.023||.027||.032|
|New York Knicks||29–53||22||.022||.026||.031|
|New Orleans Hornets||37–45||8||.008||.009||.012|
UPDATE May 18, 2010: With just a 10.3% chance of winning the lottery, the Washington Wizards were able to land the rights for the #1 pick.
With majority owner Irene Pollin wearing the 1978 Bullets championship ring of her late husband, longtime owner Abe Pollin, the Wizards moved up from the fifth spot vaulting over Golden State, Sacramento, Minnesota and New Jersey.
If they get top prospect John Wall, a backcourt tandem with Gilbert Arenas will be deadly for the team.
The New Jersey Nets unfortunately fell to third. It’s the sixth straight year the team with the best chance to win didn’t land the top pick in the NBA draft.
They’re probably hoping that 2010 National Player of the Year Evan Turner is still available for the picking when their turn comes.
So, the complete 2010 NBA Draft order would be:
3. New Jersey
6. Golden State
8. L.A. Clippers
11. New Orleans
20. San Antonio
21. Oklahoma City
26. Oklahoma City
27. New Jersey
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 NBA Draft | Washington Wizards Select John Wall With First Pick With just a 10.3% chance of winning the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery last May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey,...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Win 2011 NBA Draft Lottery In 2003, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the first pick in the NBA Draft Lottery. We all know who they picked....
- 2010 NBA Trades | The Magic-Suns-Wizards Blockbuster! Blame this to the Miami Thrice. After 26 games into the 2010-11 NBA season, the Orlando Magic finds itself losing...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Select Kyrie Irving With First Pick in the 2011 NBA Draft At the 2011 NBA Draft held on June 23, 2011 at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, the Cleveland Cavaliers...
- 2010 NBA Free-Agent Signings | Lebron James to Miami Heat Lebron James has finally made the decision. In a one-hour TV special on ESPN titled “The Decision” last July 8...