2010 NBA Draft | Washington Wizards Select John Wall With First PickCategory: Basketball
With just a 10.3% chance of winning the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery last May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey, USA, the Washington Wizards were able to land the rights for the #1 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.
In the 2010 NBA Draft held on June 24, 2010 at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York, USA, the team selected John Wall.
John Wall is a 2010 National Player of the Year finalist who played point guard for the University of Kentucky.
2009–10 John R. Wooden Awardee Evan Turner of Ohio State was picked second by the Philadelphia 76ers.
The New Jersey Nets select Georgia Tech’s Derrick Favors with the 3rd pick.
Xavier’s Jordan Crawford who became controversial last summer because he dunked on Lebron James was pick number 26.
Here’s the complete list of picks in Round 1:
1 Washington John Wall PG
2 Philadelphia Evan Turner SG
3 New Jersey Derrick Favors PF
4 Minnesota Wesley Johnson SF
5 Sacramento DeMarcus Cousins PF
6 Golden State Ekpe Udoh PF
7 Detroit Greg Monroe C
8 LA Clippers Al-Farouq Aminu SF
9 Utah Gordon Hayward SF
10 Indiana Paul George SF
11 New Orleans Cole Aldrich C
12 Memphis Xavier Henry SG
13 Toronto Ed Davis PF
14 Houston Patrick Patterson PF
15 Milwaukee Larry Sanders PF
16 Minnesota Luke Babbitt SF
17 Chicago Kevin Seraphin PF
18 Oklahoma City Eric Bledsoe PG
19 Boston Avery Bradley SG
20 San Antonio James Anderson SG
21 Oklahoma City Craig Brackins PF
22 Portland Elliot Williams SG
23 Minnesota Trevor Booker PF
24 Atlanta Damion James SF
25 Memphis Dominique Jones SG
26 Oklahoma City Quincy Pondexter SF
27 New Jersey Jordan Crawford SG
28 Memphis Greivis Vasquez PG
29 Orlando Daniel Orton PF
30 Washington Lazar Hayward SF
NOTE: John Wall became the third guard taken with the # 1 pick in 14 years. Allen Iverson of Georgetown was taken first by the Philadelphia 76ers in 1996, and Derrick Rose of Memphis was the #1 pick by the Chicago Bulls in 2008.
Wall is actually one of five UK players selected in the first round; a record.
Others picked were DeMarcus Cousins, the fifth pick by Sacramento, Patrick Patterson, the 14th selection by Houston, Eric Bledsoe, the 18th pick by Oklahoma City, and Daniel Orton, the 29th selection by Orlando.
Please read my related posts:
- Washington Wizards Win 2010 NBA Draft Lottery In the 2009-10 NBA season, the New Jersey Nets set many dubious records in futility imaginable. They started with 18 straight losses to set an NBA record. Became the sixth team in NBA history to lose 28 of its first...
- 2010-11 NBA Season | Let’s Do The John Wall Dougie Urban dictionary defines dougie as a dance move originally inspired by the 80′s rapper Doug E Fresh. He did a motion where he rubbed his head with his hand from the front to the back. The move is now gaining...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Select Kyrie Irving With First Pick in the 2011 NBA Draft At the 2011 NBA Draft held on June 23, 2011 at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, the Cleveland Cavaliers starts their rebuilding process post-Lebron James era when it selected Kyrie Irving of Duke University with its first pick. Irving...
- 2009 NBA Draft | LA Clippers Select Blake Griffin With First Pick It’s a no-brainer. The Los Angeles Clippers have selected Blake Griffin with the first overall pick. Griffin is a power forward playing for the Oklahoma Sooners of the University of Oklahoma He was named the Associated Press, the John Wooden...
- 2010 NBA Summer League | Jeremy Lin vs John Wall After graduating from Harvard University, Jeremy Lin went undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Undeterred, he later joined the Dallas Mavericks for mini-camp as well as their NBA Summer League team in Las Vegas. In five Summer League games, while...
- 2010 NBA Trades | The Magic-Suns-Wizards Blockbuster! Blame this to the Miami Thrice. After 26 games into the 2010-11 NBA season, the Orlando Magic finds itself losing its grip on the Southeast Division first place with a dysfunctional squad while the Heat is streaking to 12 consecutive...
- Cleveland Cavaliers Win 2011 NBA Draft Lottery In 2003, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the first pick in the NBA Draft Lottery. We all know who they picked. However, after 7 seasons highlighted by a 2007 NBA Finals appearance, Lebron James decided to bring his talents to South...
- 2010 NBA Free-Agent Signings | Lebron James to Miami Heat Lebron James has finally made the decision. In a one-hour TV special on ESPN titled “The Decision” last July 8 at 9:00 PM, Lebron has announced that he will be joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to play for the...
- 2011 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Oklahoma City Thunder vs Memphis Grizzlies Do-or-Die Game 7 The Oklahoma City Thunder is expected to be a top contender in the Western Conference. Not so for the Memphis Grizzlies. In fact, not one soul expected them to reach this far. Barging into the 2011 NBA Playoffs as the...
- Blake Griffin Named As 2011 NBA Rookie of the Year In a unanimous vote, Blake Griffin is chosen as the best rookie for the 2010-11 NBA season bagging the Rookie of the Year Award. Selected as the #1 overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers,...