Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. were the faces of the boxing world for the past year.
It’s no wonder then that they are two of the three contenders for the 2010 ESPY (Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly) Best Fighter Award.
The ESPYs is the equivalent of the film industry’s Oscar Awards and the music industry’s Grammy Awards. It is an annual sports event created by TV network ESPN honoring various individuals and teams for their achievements.
The Best Fighter Award is presented to the best professional boxer or mixed martial arts fighter, irrespective of nationality or weight class. The third contender is UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.
Each fighter were nominated because of the following distinctions:
* for becoming first boxer to win championships in seven different weight classes after knocking-out Miguel Cotto in the 12th round last November 14, 2009
* for dominating Joshua Clottey and scoring a unanimous decision last March 13, 2010
Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
* for winning against Shane Mosley via unanimous decision win last May 1, 2010
* for winning against Juan Manuel Marquez via unanimous decision last September 19, 2009 in his first fight after a 2-year layoff
Georges St. Pierre
The Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather, Jr. mega-fight is still in limbo.
So for now, we just have to contend ourselves with watching who among the two deserves the award more.
The 2010 ESPY Awards is set on July 14, 9 PM at the Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles California. It will be hosted by Saturday Night Live’s “Weekend Update” anchor Seth Meyers.
UPDATE: The ESPYs has wrapped up!
Floyd Mayweather is named as the Fighter of the Year by the fans.
Fret not Pacquiao fans, he is still The Fighter of the Decade.
Check out the complete list of winners.
Check out the ESPY Awards 2010 replay highlights.
Please read my related posts:
- Manny Pacquiao is Nominated for 2009 ESPY Best Fighter and Best Play Awards Online voting for the 2009 ESPY (Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly) Awards has already started. ESPYs as it is popularly...
- Kobe and Lebron, Nominated for 2010 ESPY Best Male Athlete Award Who’s better? Kobe Bryant or Lebron James? For the second straight year, the two basketball demigods are nominated in the...
- The 2010 ESPY Awards, Celebrating the Best in Sports The ESPY or Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards is an annual awards event created and broadcasted by American cable...
- Manny Pacquiao is 2009 ESPYs Best Fighter Awardee Another award is in the bag for Filipino boxing icon Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao. This time, its for the prestigious 2009...
- Manny Pacquiao is 2008 Fighter of the Year Yesterday in New York, Manny Pacquiao was awarded the 2008 Fighter of the Year given out by the Boxing Writers...