Pacquiao Faces Margarito Instead of Cotto on November 13!Category: Boxing
After negotiations for the Pacquiao vs Mayweather megafight failed again, promoter Bob Arum said today that Manny Pacquiao’s next fight is against a disgraced Mexican to be held on November 13, 2010.
Suspended for a year by the California State Athletic Commission in February 2009 after his hand wraps were found to contain a mixture for “Plaster of Paris” prior to his bout with Shane Mosley, former IBF and WBO Welterweight champion Antonio Margarito is designated to fill-in Mayweather’s slot.
Miguel Cotto whom Pacman already gobbled up last November 14, 2009 was the other option for Pacquiao but Arum has this to say,
“Cotto was beaten and even with [Hall of Fame trainer] Emanuel Steward now with him, I don’t think people believe that it’s enough to make a difference and I’m not sure they would buy it as competitive.
But putting aside the controversy about the wraps, the one thing you know for sure with a Margarito fight is that it will be a hell of a fight for however long it lasts.
Margarito knows only one way to fight and that’s coming forward. They’re going to get in there and fight. That’s what people want to see.”
Margarito, 32 has a 38-6 record with 27 KOs. He towers over Pacquiao by 4 1/2 inches at 5-11 and has a huge six-inch advantage in reach. Margarito’s wingspan is 73 inches compared to Pacquiao’s 67.
In his first fight back after being suspended last May 8, 2010, “Tijuana’s Tornado” defeated fellow Mexican Roberto Garcia via unanimous decision in the main event for Latin Fury 14.
With the win, Margarito has captured the vacant international WBC light middleweight championship. That title will be on the line against Pacquiao.
If Pacquiao defeats Margarito, he cements his status as one of the greatest boxers ever by winning an unprecedented eight championship titles in as many divisions.
The “Mexicutioner” will also add Margarito to the long list of Mexicans he has dominated over the years which includes Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar Larios, Jorge Solis and Hector Velazquez.
Fight night is on November 13, 2010 LIVE from the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, USA.
Please read my related posts:
- Pacquiao vs Margarito REPLAY Manny Pacquiao took on Antonio Margarito in one of the most anticipated boxing events of the year. It was scheduled...
- HBO Presents Pacquiao-Margarito 24/7 Series After last April’s Mayweather-Mosley 24/7 series, HBO’s Emmy award winning documentary reality series is back for its ninth installment with...
- Pacquiao vs Margarito, The Mexicutioner Targets The Tijuana Tornado Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar Larios, Jorge Solis and Hector Velazquez. They are among the best...
- Pacquiao vs Margarito, Tijuana’s Tornado Returns On November 13, 2010, disgraced boxer Antonio Margarito returns to the ring after a one-year suspension due to a hand-wrap...
- Pacquiao vs Margarito, Pacman Eyes Eight World Title Current pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao made history against Miguel Cotto in December 2009 when he captured Cotto’s WBO...