2010 FIBA World Championship | Semifinals BracketCategory: Basketball
After 5 games in the Preliminary Round and knockout games in the Round of 16 and Quarterfinals, teams slowly bowed down one by one until only 4 national basketball teams remain.
Out of the original 24 teams all over the world that started the 2010 FIBA World Championship, four teams stood tall above all them.
National teams from Serbia, Turkey, USA and Lithuania are the four teams with enough guts and talent to reach the 2010 FIBA World Championship Semifinals.
And they will be battling it out for supremacy over the right to be called the world champions.
Serbia (6-1) is the only team who made this far with a defeat – a surprise 81-82 double-overtime setback to Germany in the Preliminary Round. It has 5 world championships to its credit winning 3 straight gold medals in the 1990, 1998 and 2002 editions. It only placed 11th in 2006.
Turkey (7-0) as the host country, is the favorite to win aside from Team USA. This is only the third world championships for its team placing 9th in 2002 and 6th in 2006.
USA (7-0) the last time its national team won the gold medal was in 1994 when Dream Team II was sent led by a young Shaquille O’Neal. Since then, it has been a disappointment managing only the bronze medal in 1998 and 2006 and even failing to medal in 2002, placing 6th. Still, Team USA is expected to win it all this time.
Lithuania (7-0) advanced to the semifinals of the basketball world championship for the first time. Lithuania proved to be the only team in the Worlds able to shut down Argentina forward Luis Scola, who came in averaging a tournament-high 30.2 points. Its highest showing in the world championships was 7th in 1998 and 2006.
The 2010 FIBA World Championship Semifinals bracket would be:
Don’t fail to watch the 2010 FIBA World Championship on September 11, 2010 as these teams battle it out for supremacy over the right to be called the world champions.
UPDATE: USA and Turkey won their respective Semifinal matches to set up a showdown.
It’s USA vs Turkey in the 2010 FIBA World Championship Finals!
It will be held on September 12, 2010 at the Sinan Erdem Dome, Istanbul, Turkey.
Serbia and Lithuania meanwhile will battle for third place.
Who’s your pick?
Please read my related posts:
- 2010 FIBA World Championship Semifinals | USA Advances to Finals For the First Time Since 1994 One of the semifinal matches for the 2010 FIBA World Championship features a first timer and a returning team. On...
- 2010 FIBA World Championship Third Place | Lithuania Wins First Ever Medal After losing their respective semifinal matches; Serbia to Turkey and Lithuania to USA, the two teams will try to at...
- 2010 FIBA World Championship Semifinals | Host Turkey Wins 83-82 Thriller! As the host and therefore having the homecourt advantage, Turkey had an easy time dispatching all of its opponents to...
- 2010 FIBA World Championship Finals | USA Wins Gold! Out of the 24 competing national teams in the 2010 FIBA World Championship, only two now remains. On September 12,...
- Meet Bascat, the 2010 FIBA World Championship Mascot The 16th rendition of one of the most prestigious basketball tournaments in the world, the FIBA World Basketball Championship is...