Manny Pacquiao’s Next Fight? Juan Manuel MarquezCategory: Boxing
The Pride of the Philippines, Manny Pacquiao‘s last loss was against future Hall-of-Famer Erik Morales.
That was more than 5 years ago in March 19, 2005.
He has since avenged that defeat, twice and currently, Pacquiao is on a 12-fight winning streak.
Along the way, the Pacman has gobbled up his opponents with his lightning speed quickness, cat-like reflexes and brute strength with eight of those fights ending by way of knockout; a testament to his power.
It’s also amazing to know that in the process, he has won titles in a record seven weight divisions from 112 to 147 pounds beating men bigger and taller than him.
Reigning supreme at the featherweight limit for years, he started his ascent up the weight ladder with a Lightweight matchup against David Diaz whom he dispatched in nine rounds.
At his next fight, coming up as a 2-1 underdog because of the 4-inches height differential, he made Oscar dela Hoya quit in his stool after eight rounds of pummeling the Golden Boy which he calls his idol.
He then made quick work of the charging Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton with a 2nd Round knockout capturing the Briton’s IBO and The Ring Light Welterweight World Titles.
Pacquiao’s latest victim was the tough as nails Joshua Clottey who did nothing but cover up to avoid an embarrassing knockout. Pacquiao won via total domination.
For his achievements, Pacquiao was named as the 2000-09 Boxing Writers Association Of America Fighter of the Decade, one of the highest honors a boxer can be bestowed upon.
Currently, the Filipino icon is rated as the #1 pound-for-pound best boxer in the world by several sporting news and boxing websites, including The Ring, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, NBC Sports, Yahoo! Sports and About.com.
Yes, Manny Pacquiao is clearly at the top of his game and shows no sign of slowing down.
So, who’s next?
BREAKING NEWS! December 22, 2010: Shane Mosley announced on Twitter today that he will be Pacquiao’s next opponent.
The Pacquio vs Mosley fight will be held on May 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on May 7, 2011.
UPDATE May 7, 2011: Pacquiao defeated Mosley via unanimous decision (119-108, 120-108, 120-107).
Mosley survived a knockdown in the 3rd Round and was on defensive mode the rest of the way.
UPDATE May 11, 2010: Top Rank chief and Manny Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum confirms that Juan Manuel Marquez has accepted their revised offer sheet to fight Pacquiao in November.
Please read my related posts:
- Juan Manuel Marquez Taunts Manny Pacquiao With T-Shirt Every one wants a piece of Manny Pacquiao nowadays (except for Floyd Mayweather, Jr. of course.) Shane Mosley wants him....
- Manny Pacquiao Edges Juan Manuel Marquez With Majority Decision Win After 36 rounds, Manny Pacquiao still could not put away his arch-nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez for good. And just like...
- HBO PPV | Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Marquez Marquez III MATCHUP: Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez EVENT: HBO Pay-Per-View Boxing Presents World Welterweight Championship: Pacquiao vs Marquez 3...
- Number One/Numero Uno: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez Fight REPLAY Number One/Numero Uno: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez was one of the most anticipated boxing events this year...
- HBO Boxing “Warriors”, Juan Manuel Marquez vs Michael Katsidis In a boxing event billed as “Warriors”, the the number four pound-for-pound boxer in the world Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez...