Manny Pacquiao’s Next Fight? Juan Manuel MarquezCategory: Boxing
The Pride of the Philippines, Manny Pacquiao‘s last loss was against future Hall-of-Famer Erik Morales.
That was more than 5 years ago in March 19, 2005.
He has since avenged that defeat, twice and currently, Pacquiao is on a 12-fight winning streak.
Along the way, the Pacman has gobbled up his opponents with his lightning speed quickness, cat-like reflexes and brute strength with eight of those fights ending by way of knockout; a testament to his power.
It’s also amazing to know that in the process, he has won titles in a record seven weight divisions from 112 to 147 pounds beating men bigger and taller than him.
Reigning supreme at the featherweight limit for years, he started his ascent up the weight ladder with a Lightweight matchup against David Diaz whom he dispatched in nine rounds.
At his next fight, coming up as a 2-1 underdog because of the 4-inches height differential, he made Oscar dela Hoya quit in his stool after eight rounds of pummeling the Golden Boy which he calls his idol.
He then made quick work of the charging Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton with a 2nd Round knockout capturing the Briton’s IBO and The Ring Light Welterweight World Titles.
Pacquiao’s latest victim was the tough as nails Joshua Clottey who did nothing but cover up to avoid an embarrassing knockout. Pacquiao won via total domination.
For his achievements, Pacquiao was named as the 2000-09 Boxing Writers Association Of America Fighter of the Decade, one of the highest honors a boxer can be bestowed upon.
Currently, the Filipino icon is rated as the #1 pound-for-pound best boxer in the world by several sporting news and boxing websites, including The Ring, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, NBC Sports, Yahoo! Sports and About.com.
Yes, Manny Pacquiao is clearly at the top of his game and shows no sign of slowing down.
So, who’s next?
BREAKING NEWS! December 22, 2010: Shane Mosley announced on Twitter today that he will be Pacquiao’s next opponent.
The Pacquio vs Mosley fight will be held on May 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on May 7, 2011.
UPDATE May 7, 2011: Pacquiao defeated Mosley via unanimous decision (119-108, 120-108, 120-107).
Mosley survived a knockdown in the 3rd Round and was on defensive mode the rest of the way.
UPDATE May 11, 2010: Top Rank chief and Manny Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum confirms that Juan Manuel Marquez has accepted their revised offer sheet to fight Pacquiao in November.
Please read my related posts:
- Juan Manuel Marquez Taunts Manny Pacquiao With T-Shirt Every one wants a piece of Manny Pacquiao nowadays (except for Floyd Mayweather, Jr. of course.) Shane Mosley wants him. (UPDATE December 22: He got his wish as Pacquiao vs Mosley is already scheduled for May 2, 2011) Sergio Martinez...
- Manny Pacquiao Edges Juan Manuel Marquez With Majority Decision Win After 36 rounds, Manny Pacquiao still could not put away his arch-nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez for good. And just like their previous two meetings, this third fight was without controversy. Before a sellout crowd of 16, 368 at the MGM...
- HBO PPV | Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Marquez Marquez III MATCHUP: Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez EVENT: HBO Pay-Per-View Boxing Presents World Welterweight Championship: Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 DATE: November 12, 2011 VENUE: MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States FIGHT DETAILS: Manny Pacquiao defends his WBA...
- Number One/Numero Uno: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez Fight REPLAY Number One/Numero Uno: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez was one of the most anticipated boxing events this year as it featured two of the best boxers there is. It was scheduled for September 19, 2009 (September 20, Sunday...
- HBO Boxing “Warriors”, Juan Manuel Marquez vs Michael Katsidis In a boxing event billed as “Warriors”, the the number four pound-for-pound boxer in the world Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez defends his WBA, WBO and The Ring lightweight championships against top challenger Michael “The Great Rocky” Katsidis. The two warriors...
- Too Big For One Country: Juan Manuel Marquez vs Serhiy Fedchenko MATCHUP: Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez vs Serhiy Fedchenko EVENT: Too Big For One Country, World Championship Doubleheader: Marquez vs Fedchencko / Rios vs Abril DATE: April 14, 2012 VENUE: Arena Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico FIGHT DETAILS: After losing to Manny...
- Juan Manuel Marquez Wins Rematch Over Diaz In a a matchup that was considered as “Fight of the Year” for 2009 by Ring magazine and ESPN.com, Juan Manuel Márquez defeated IBO Lightweight Champion Juan Diaz last February 28, 2009 to win the vacant WBO lightweight and WBA...
- Shane Mosley Announces Fight With Manny Pacquiao on Twitter It’s official, Manny Pacquiao’s opponent for his next fight would be Shane Mosley. Sugar Shane himself announced the news on his Twitter account, With the failure of the Pacquiao vs Mayweather megafight, possible opponents laid out for the pound-for-pound king...
- Showtime Boxing | Rafael Marquez Quits Against Juan Manuel Lopez Undefeated Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez is one of the fastest rising stars in boxing today. He is as exciting as he is skilled as 26 of his 29 wins were via knockout. After reigning supreme in the Bantamweight division for...
- Number One/Numero Uno: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez In a boxing event titled “Number One / Numero Uno”, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez will face each other in a 12-round welterweight fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. They will meet at a...