2011 NBA Finals | Heat vs Mavericks Game 4, Nowitzki Makes A Jordanesque PerformanceCategory: Basketball
This is how heroes are made.
In true Jordanesque fashion, Dirk Nowitzki battled through a sinus infection that left him coughing and wheezing and his temperature spiking to 101 degrees to score 10 of his 21 points and grab five of his 11 rebounds in the final period to will his team to an 86-83 victory over the Miami Heat.
For the third consecutive game, Nowitzki provided the spark to a Dallas team that was behind in points coming into the final canto.
Trailing by nine points, 74-65 with 10 minutes remaining in the game, the Mavericks outscored the Heat 21-9 the rest of the way with the German driving past Udonis Haslem with 14.4 seconds left to give his team an 84-81 lead.
On the next play, Dwyane Wade drove the lane for a dunk to make it 83-84. After Jason Terry hit two free throws with 6.7 seconds left to put Dallas up 86-83, Miami called timeout to get possession in the frontcourt. Mike Miller threw the inbounds pass to Dwayne Wade, but he fumbled it. He chased it down and got it back to Miller for a 3-pointer that would’ve forced overtime, but it wasn’t even close to hitting the rim.
Wade also missed a free-throw with 30.1 seconds left that could have tied the game. He finished with 32 points.
Jason Terry added 17 points (eight in the fourth), Shawn Marion scored 16 and Tyson Chandler had 13 points and 16 rebounds (nine offensive boards) for Dallas.
Chris Bosh scored 24 for Miami, while LeBron James scored a postseason-low eight points on 3-for-11 shooting.
Check out the Game 4 recap video below:
* Dirk’s performance was reminiscent of game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals when Michael Jordan scored 38 points when he was sick with flu, lifting the Bulls to a victory that gave them a 3-2 series lead over Utah.
* Of the past 26 times the finals have been tied at 2, the Game 5 winner has won it all 19 times. Last year was among the exceptions, with the Celtics winning Game 5 and the Lakers taking the last two.
* The 2006 finals between these teams also was tied 2-2, but Miami overcame an 0-2 deficit to win four straight.
* Lebron James finished with eight points, ending a double-figure scoring streak of 433 consecutive games, regular season and postseason. It was his fewest points ever in the playoffs. His teams are now 0-8 in the playoffs when he scores fewer than 15 points.
* Dirk Nowitzki made 39 consecutive free throws and was 26-for-26 in the Finals before missing with 3:52 left in the third quarter.
* This was only the second time in 140 postseason games that Jason Kidd has gone scoreless.
* Joel Anthony has now blocked at least one shot in 15 straight postseason games, one shy of Miami’s franchise record held by Alonzo Mourning.
* Miami’s opponents have scored fewer than 100 points in 18 of 19 games this postseason.
* Miami scored a series-low 14 points in the fourth quarter, committing six turnovers and making only 5 of 15 shots.
Check out the full 2011 NBA Finals schedule and mark your calendars now!If you want to receive my latest posts, please subscribe to my full feed RSS or have them delivered through email. Just enter your email address below and hit the Subscribe button.