2011 NBA Finals | Heat vs Mavericks Game 6, Dallas Wins First NBA Title!Category: Basketball
Dirk Nowitzki is the best European player in NBA history having won the MVP award in 2007 … but he has not won a championship.
Jason Kidd is one of the best point guards in NBA history with the second highest assists total and third highest triple-double count… but he has not won a championship.
Jason Terry is the quintessential definition of a Sixth Man… but he has not won a championship.
No more buts, for these guys are now champions.
In Game 6 of their NBA Finals series with the Miami Heat, Terry had 27 points (on 11 of 16 field-goal attempts), Nowitzki had 21 points and 11 rebounds and Kidd had 8 assists as the Dallas Mavericks lead for the final 22 minutes to win, 105-95.
For Nowitzki (32) and Terry (33), this is a reward for sticking with the organization after their 2006 NBA Finals collapse. Terry had a tattoo of the Larry O’Brien trophy in the preseason supposedly for motivation. Now, he can finally cling to a real one. Noiwitzki was no question the best player in this series getting the Bill Russell NBA Finals MVP trophy as a bonus.
Kidd’s previous two Finals appearance were disappointments as his New Jersey Nets lost to the LA Lakers in 2001 and to the San Antonio Spurs in 2002. At 38 years old, he finally got his first championship.
Lebron James meanwhile is left shaking his head. Promising multiple championships for Miami after he bolted out of Cleveland with his “The Decision”-thing, The King failed to deliver in this NBA Finals – a non-factor in the Heat offense with a career postseason low of 8 points in their Game 4 loss.
At Game 6, James got off to a great start hitting his first four shots to give himself nine quick points. But as is the story with this series, he failed to deliver when it mattered scoring only two points in the final 19-plus minutes of the game. James didn’t score in the second half until a layup with 1:49 remained in the third—his first field-goal attempt since 1:05 remained in the half.
He scored 21 points for Miami. Teammates Chris Bosh had 19, Mario Chalmers 18 and Dwyane Wade 17.
“It was a failure in ’07 when we lost to the Spurs when I was in Cleveland. It’s a failure now.”
Check out the Game 6 recap video below:
* This is the first championship title for Dallas in its 21 years of existence.
* Miami is now 1-1 in the NBA Finals winning in 2006 and losing this year.
* Lebron James is still left without a ring after two tries. His team, the Cleveland Cavaliers was previously swept in 2007 by the San Antonio Spurs.
If you want to relive the series with game recaps and videos, check out this link: 2011 NBA Finals.
Please read my related posts:
- 2011 NBA Finals | Heat vs Mavericks Game 1, Lebron Scores 24 To Win First Ever Finals Game Lebron James is 3 games away from redemption. Leading the Miami Heat with 24 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists,...
- 2011 NBA Finals | Heat vs Mavericks Game 2, Nowitzki and Terry Led Furious Rally in Come From Behind Victory The Miami Heat might have celebrated too early. Up 15 by points 88-73 with 7:15 remaining in the game, you...
- 2011 NBA Finals | Heat vs Mavericks Game 5, Lebron Nets Triple-Double in Loss Coming off from his worst playoff performance ever in Game 4, Lebron James vowed to step-up in Game 5. He...
- 2011 NBA Finals | Dallas Mavericks vs Miami Heat Schedule The NBA Finals is already set! The Dallas Mavericks will be facing the Miami Heat, a rematch of their 2006...
- 2011 NBA Finals | Miami Heat vs Dallas Mavericks The Miami Heat and the Dallas Mavericks last met in 2006 when the Mavericks won the first two games at...