Cleveland Cavaliers Select Kyrie Irving With First Pick in the 2011 NBA DraftCategory: Basketball
At the 2011 NBA Draft held on June 23, 2011 at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, the Cleveland Cavaliers starts their rebuilding process post-Lebron James era when it selected Kyrie Irving of Duke University with its first pick.
Irving despite playing only a total of 11 games for Duke in his only year is projected to be the next Derrick Rose, this year’s Most Valuable Player.
Cleveland also won the fourth pick in the 2011 NBA Draft Lottery and they used it for University of Texas forward Tristan Thompson.
The Minnesota Timberwolves took Arizona forward Derrick Williams with the #2 pick. The Utah Jazz then took Turkish big man Enes Kanter third with their first of two lottery selections.
In the last 15 years, only 4 guards were taken number one. Two were chosen for the last two years, this year’s Kyrie Irving and last year’s John Wall by the Washington Wizards. Allen Iverson of Georgetown was taken first by the Philadelphia 76ers in 1996, and Derrick Rose of Memphis was the #1 pick by the Chicago Bulls in 2008.
Irving is the second Australian born player to be selected first overall in the NBA Draft behind Andrew Bogut in 2005.
Three of the first six players taken were from Europe, capitalizing on the absence of some American college players who might have gone in their spots and made this a stronger draft. It was the first time four international players who didn’t play at a U.S. college were selected in the lottery.
Here’s the complete list of picks in Round 1:
|1||Kyrie Irving||Cleveland Cavaliers||Duke (Fr.)|
|2||Derrick Williams||Minnesota Timberwolves||Arizona (So.)|
|3||Enes Kanter||Utah Jazz (from New Jersey)||Kentucky (Fr.)|
|4||Tristan Thompson||Cleveland Cavaliers||Texas (Fr.)|
|5||Jonas Valančiūnas||Toronto Raptors||Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)|
|6||Jan Veselý||Washington Wizards||Partizan (Serbia)|
|7||Bismack Biyombo||Charlotte Bobcats (from Sacramento Kings)||Fuenlabrada (Spain)|
|8||Brandon Knight||Detroit Pistons||Kentucky (Fr.)|
|9||Kemba Walker||Charlotte Bobcats||Connecticut (Jr.)|
|10||Jimmer Fredette||Sacramento Kings (from Milwaukee Bucks)||BYU (Sr.)|
|11||Klay Thompson||Golden State Warriors||Washington State (Jr.)|
|12||Alec Burks||Utah Jazz||Colorado (So.)|
|13||Markieff Morris||Phoenix Suns||Kansas (Jr.)|
|14||Marcus Morris||Houston Rockets||Kansas (Jr.)|
|15||Kawhi Leonard||Indiana Pacers (traded to San Antonio Spurs)||San Diego (So.)|
|16||Nikola Vučević||Philadelphia 76ers||USC (Jr.)|
|17||Iman Shumpert||New York Knicks||Georgia Tech (Jr.)|
|18||Chris Singleton||Washington Wizards (from Atlanta)[||Florida State (Jr.)|
|19||Tobias Harris||Milwaukee Bucks (from Charlotte Bobcats via New Orleans and Portland||Tennessee (Fr.)|
|20||Donatas Motiejūnas||Minnesota Timberwolves (from Memphis via Utah traded toHouston Rockets)||Pallacanestro Treviso (Italy)|
|21||Nolan Smith||Portland Trail Blazers||Duke (Sr.)|
|22||Kenneth Faried||Denver Nuggets||Morehead State (Sr.)|
|23||Nikola Mirotic||Houston Rockets (from Orlando via Phoenix traded to Minnesota Timberwolves)||Real Madrid (Spain)|
|24||Reggie Jackson||Oklahoma City Thunder||Boston College (Jr.)|
|25||Marshon Brooks||Boston Celtics (traded to New Jersey)||Providence (Sr.)|
|26||Jordan Hamilton||Dallas Mavericks||Texas (So.)|
|27||JaJuan Johnson||New Jersey Nets (from L.A. Lakers, traded to Boston)||Purdue (Sr.)|
|28||Norris Cole||Chicago Bulls (from Miami via Toronto)||Cleveland State (Sr.)|
|29||Cory Joseph||San Antonio Spurs||Texas (Fr.)|
|30||Jimmy Butler||Chicago Bulls||Marquette (Sr.)|
Here are highlights from Kyrie Irving’s career:
Please read my related posts:
- Cleveland Cavaliers Win 2011 NBA Draft Lottery In 2003, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the first pick in the NBA Draft Lottery. We all know who they picked. However, after 7 seasons highlighted by a 2007 NBA Finals appearance, Lebron James decided to bring his talents to South...
- 2010 NBA Draft | Washington Wizards Select John Wall With First Pick With just a 10.3% chance of winning the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery last May 18, 2010 in Secaucus, New Jersey, USA, the Washington Wizards were able to land the rights for the #1 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. In...
- 2009 NBA Draft | LA Clippers Select Blake Griffin With First Pick It’s a no-brainer. The Los Angeles Clippers have selected Blake Griffin with the first overall pick. Griffin is a power forward playing for the Oklahoma Sooners of the University of Oklahoma He was named the Associated Press, the John Wooden...
- 2010-11 NBA Season | Miami Heat vs Cleveland Cavaliers, Er.. Lebron vs Cavs Fans The King is coming back to where he first started his reign. However, a royal treatment is not to be expected. Amidst all the hoopla, Lebron James made a decision last summer to leave Cleveland for Miami. Immediately, there was...
- 2010 NBA Playoffs Conference Semifinals Round | Cleveland Cavaliers vs Boston Celtics In the 2008 NBA Playoffs, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics met in an epic Eastern Conference Semifinals with the home team winning every game. In a Game 7 mano-a-mano, Lebron James and Paul Pierce were involved in a shootout ...
- Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert’s Open Letter For Cleveland Citizens Just moments after Lebron James announced his desire at ESPN’s “The Decision” to be part of the Miami Heat to be reunited with his 2008 Olympic gold medal team mates, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, Cleveland Cavaliers majority owner Dan...
- Washington Wizards Win 2010 NBA Draft Lottery In the 2009-10 NBA season, the New Jersey Nets set many dubious records in futility imaginable. They started with 18 straight losses to set an NBA record. Became the sixth team in NBA history to lose 28 of its first...
- 2011 NBA Trades | Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers Let the CP3 – Blake Show begin! As early as July of last year, rumors have been circulating that top NBA point guard Chris Paul wants out of the New Orleans Hornets in favor of either three teams, the New...
- NBA Trades 2011 | Carmelo Anthony to New York Knicks The Melo-drama has finally ended. The subject of trade rumors since he declined to sign a 3-year, $65 million extension with the Denver Nuggets last summer, Carmelo Anthony is now with a new team. Not with the LA Lakers, not...
- 2010 NBA Free-Agent Signings | “Z” Joins Former Cavs Teammate Lebron in Miami Seems like “Z” wants a championship ring so bad too. Less than a week after Lebron James announced his decision to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to play for the Miami Heat starting this season, Lebron’s former Cavaliers teammate...