Manny Pacquiao Edges Juan Manuel Marquez With Majority Decision WinCategory: Boxing
After 36 rounds, Manny Pacquiao still could not put away his arch-nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez for good.
And just like their previous two meetings, this third fight was without controversy.
Before a sellout crowd of 16, 368 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on November 12, Pacquiao eked out majority decision win.
Judge Robert Hoyle scored it a draw, 114-114. But judges Dave Moretti and Glenn Trowbridge had it 115-113 and 116-112 respectively for Pacquiao.
Unlike the first two bouts, in which he had four knockdowns, Pacquiao was unable to send Marquez to the canvas.
The first two meetings were fought at the 126 and 130 pounds limit. When the Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 fight was decided at a catchweight of 144 pounds, an 8-1 odds of winning was immediately put against Marquez. After all, his first try at the welterweight division ended with him being shut out by Floyd Mayweather, Jr. while Pacquiao has dominated bigger opponents the likes of Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey and Oscar De La Hoya among others.
But even with the “imagined” Pacquiao advantage, Marquez has the answer to every thing Pacquiao has thrown at him. He was able to consistently land a straight right hand and keep Pacquiao off-balance. Marquez, the defensive counter-puncher is the perfect foil for Pacquiao’s offensive style of boxing.
But in the end, the judges felt that Marquez has not done enough to upset Pacquiao.
Pacquiao retained his WBO Welterweight title and extended his winning streak to 15 fights but his status as the number one pound-for-pound boxer in the world is now in question.
Check out the Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez 3 fight video.
Please read my related posts:
- Juan Manuel Marquez Taunts Manny Pacquiao With T-Shirt Every one wants a piece of Manny Pacquiao nowadays (except for Floyd Mayweather, Jr. of course.) Shane Mosley wants him....
- HBO PPV | Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Marquez Marquez III MATCHUP: Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez EVENT: HBO Pay-Per-View Boxing Presents World Welterweight Championship: Pacquiao vs Marquez 3...
- Manny Pacquiao’s Next Fight? Juan Manuel Marquez The Pride of the Philippines, Manny Pacquiao‘s last loss was against future Hall-of-Famer Erik Morales. That was more than 5...
- HBO Boxing “Warriors”, Juan Manuel Marquez vs Michael Katsidis In a boxing event billed as “Warriors”, the the number four pound-for-pound boxer in the world Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez...
- Juan Manuel Marquez Wins Rematch Over Diaz In a a matchup that was considered as “Fight of the Year” for 2009 by Ring magazine and ESPN.com, Juan...