HBO Boxing: Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams 2, The RematchCategory: Boxing
Two of the best middleweight boxers in the world will meet once again in an awaited rematch of their December 5, 2009 Fight of the Year candidate showdown: Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez and Paul “The Punisher” Williams.
In that match, Martinez and Williams each scored knockdowns in the 1st Round. They fought toe-to-toe until the bell rang with Williams being declared the winner by Majority Decision.
It was so exciting that a rematch was inevitable.
This November 20, 2010, HBO Boxing makes that possible. And in the same exact venue where it all began, at the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA.
Sergio Martinez (44 wins, 24 KOs – 2 losses) is an Argentinian boxer who is the current WBC and The Ring World Middleweight Champion, and former WBC Super Welterweight Champion. Ring Magazine currently rates Martinez as the number six pound-for-pound boxer in the world.
He got his crowns after his recent demolition of Kelly Pavlik last April 17, 2010. However, he was stripped of his WBO Middleweight title due to his unclear decision of what weight class he wants to fight in Jr. Middleweight or Middleweight.
American Paul Williams (38-1, 27 KOs) is the former two-time WBO welterweight champion and currently rated by The Ring Magazine as the number five pound-for-pound boxer in the world.
He is often called the most avoided fighter in boxing due to his ring style and stature being 6″2′ and considered extremely tall for a welterweight. His last fight was against Kermit Cintron where he won when Cintron could not continue after a freak accident where he fell out of the ring unintentionally.
Check out the highlights of Martinez and Williams’ exciting first meeting last December 5, 2009.
Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams 2 The Rematch will be aired by HBO Boxing on November 20, 2010 LIVE from the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA.
UPDATE November 20, 2010: Sergio Martinez knocks out Paul Williams in the second round!
Watch the Martinez vs Williams 2 fight video at the link provided above.
Please read my related posts:
- Sergio Martinez Knocks Out Paul Williams! This reminded me of Manny Pacquiao knocking out Ricky Hatton. The knockout punch, the round where it ended, and how...
- HBO Boxing: Sergio Martinez vs Darren Barker MATCHUP: Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez vs Darren “Dazzling” Barker EVENT: HBO: Martinez vs Barker, No Fear. No Mercy. DATE: October 1,...
- HBO Boxing: Martinez vs Dzinziruk, Maravilla Knocks Out Razor in Eight MATCHUP: Sergio Gabriel “Maravilla” Martinez vs Sergei “Razor” Dzinziruk EVENT: Celtic War – Martinez vs Dzinziruk DATE: March 12, 2011...
- Showtime Boxing: Paul Williams vs Nobuhiro Ishida MATCHUP: Paul Williams vs Nobuhiro Ishida EVENT: Showtime: Williams vs Ishida DATE: February 18, 2012 VENUE: American Bank Center in...
- HBO Boxing Presents: The Punisher vs The Killer Saturday Night HBO Boxing presents a battle betwen two former welterweight champions this May 8, 2010 – 9:45 p.m. ET/6:45...